Monday, November 22, 2010

Digi Heat Embossing

Happy Tuesday all, it’s tutorial Tuesday with me Jo!

Well I’ve had a mad idea this week…not sure if it will work but gonna give it a go (kind of worked!)  My tutorial for today came to mind when I was sorting out my tool draw…. I came across my embossing pen that I bought way back and never used, so I thought about whether you can print off a digi and emboss the image?

So here we go today’s tutorial is…..

Digi Heat Embossing

Heat Embossing is very useful when colouring projects as the raised lines help to give a clean definition and you don’t have to worry about being too neat and going out of the lines….. Heat embossing gives a shiny raised image which adds a lovely finishing touch to any projects and can give digi images a hand stamped finished. 

Heat embossing a digital stamp image might be difficult, but hopefully it is not impossible!  Now we know that it would be way too hard to heat emboss the traditional way as we print digital images onto non porous papers, the inks dry too quickly on porous paper for this to work….

So an alternative way to add heat embossing to digital stamp images is to use an embossing ink pen or any marker pen with a slow drying ink. We can either use the pen to draw around the outline of the printed image, but also elements of the image!

But if you have an ink printer try adding embossing powders need to be added when the printer ink is still wet as printer ink dries almost instantly.  So for today the tools that we require are:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Embossing Ink Pen
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Digital stamp image
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Embossing powder
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Heat tool
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->Cardstock for printing must be glossy printer paper, vellum or other shiny surfaces.

First we need to print the digital stamp image as required, I have used Flower Pot Rosie, she will be on my card for this week’s Delightful Challenges DT card…..

Now we use our embossing ink pen to draw around the digital stamp image following the printed outline or you can create a finish you could just highlight certain parts of the image using heat embossing, this is what I have done so you can see what you can do.....

Make sure you work over a sheet of clean plain paper and pour the embossing powder over the image.

Give the image a good coating of embossing powder the tap gently any unused powders onto the sheet of clean paper and return to the pot for future use.

Now this is where I made my mistake... I used my blue pen and clear embossing powder, so had a blue finish oopppppssssss!


So here's a quick one with silver, wanted to do the outline in black and then realised I had no black....
Now grab your heat tool (do not use a hairdryer this is way too fierce!) heat the embossing powders until they have melted

When the image is cool you can add colour to it using marker pens, pencils or any other of your preferred mediums……. So there it is and I hope you have a go and come up with some really effective finishes!


Not going to show my full card, you will have to wait to Thursday and see the Delightful Challenge Blog!



Hugs Jo xxx

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea Jo:) It looks terrific. will have to try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo thanks for the tut! I ma give this a gry as digi's are my stamp of choice :)

    ReplyDelete