Friday, August 6, 2010

Saturday Tutorial - Coloring your images with color pencils and thinner

Morning fellow crafters!

This week, I'm showing you my go-to technique when I need
to color an image in a pinch... SUPER easy! 
I will use color pencils (almost any brand will do) and low odor paint thinner.

I know some people use the same technique with "Gamsol", 
but I cannot find any here in my area and found out that thinner 
works just the same...

I am using the adorable "Dilly the Duck with Ladybug"

So on to the tutorial:


Hope you liked it and see you next saturday, 
we will play with Distress Inks :)

Happy Crafting!

11 comments:

  1. Fabulous hun, just what I was needing,I was never sure if this technique would work with all pencils or not. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs Kaylou xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colouring technique Nathalie! Hugs Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tutorial. Can't wait still next week !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank for this tut. and thank you for showing the paint thinner....some ppl say use gamsol...but i am not sure what to look for...so now i know to look for paint thinner. i have been using baby oil and colored pencil...this seems to smooth out easier and better !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tut again Nathalie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies :)

    DeNetra, baby oil works too, but it gets into your paper and stays in there, where the thinner will smell a tad while working, it evaporates as it dries and will not have any odor left at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for putting this together! It's good to know that it works with all kinds of pencils...
    Are you using any particular type of paper for this or will plain white cardstock be OK?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried it on regular paper, but I have used several cardstock brands and they all worked well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a question will the ink from your computer when you print these images bleed when you blend?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carley,

    I use a laser printer and I never had a bleeding problem. You can do it with the inkjet too, but need to seal your ink first... 2 ways to do this: use your heat gun to dry your ink thourouly or you can actually spray your image with a "workable fixative" Kraylon has a good one and you can find it at walmart or any art supply stores :)

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. will it work with watercolor and oil pencils or just regular color pencils?

    ReplyDelete