Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday Tutorial - Dimensional Card with Nathalie

Hello fellow crafters,

This week, I decided to experiment with a dimensional card, 
which is kind of a mix between a tent card and a shadow box.

I am using 2 of the fabby July releases: "Scrubbie sue and floatie
and the "Have fun in the sun" sentiment.

Here is today's project:
Scrubbie Sue is actually dangling and it looks like 
she is actually floating on the waves!!!



Materials you need:

a piece of 5x12" cardstock
a die-cut with an opening of your choice (nestabilities, cricut, store bought or handcut)
digital image of your choice and sentiment
a jump ring
a scroring tool
adhesive
craft knife or scissors
something to pierce with (needle or pricking tool)
embellies of choice

Let's get started!

Start with your piece of 5x12" cardstock. Scrore it at 1", 6 1/4", 6 1/2" and at 6 3/4" on the 12" side.


Crease your folds. The 1" section will be the flap, the other 3 folds in the center will become a valley fold that will be the base of your card.

On the part that will be the front, ignoring the first top 1" (which will be hidden by the flap) center your die-cut and trace the inside and cut it out with a craft knife or scissors (or using your nestabilities).


Then I embossed the front part of the card, using my cuttlebug. Simply line up the embossing folder with the bottom. Then I did the same with the flap (1" section).



Time to glue your frame around the window. At this point, it should look like this:


Time to print and color your image! I colored mine with Copics and the colors will be listed in the gallery.  Make sure it will fit in the window and have free space to move once attached:


Then I poke a hole on top of her head and one about 1/8" from the border of the frame for the jump ring.


  If you do not have any, not to worry, you can also use a piece of thread. Note for the jump rings: always open those twisting towards you, like on the picture, otherwise they can get really weak or distorted and break on you...


 Now go through the hole in the frame on the card:

Then  through the hole in the image, then close the jump ring:


Then I decorated the background of the card with a pice of white cardstock that I embossed with dots (Cuttlebug) and chalked a little to bring out the embossing. I did not have any "waves" die-cuts, but I used Tim Holtz Ironwork die which did the trick. I cut 2 of those, and glued one directly on the background and the other one on the front pannel on the inside, behind the frame.

 
For this part you will need to eyeball the placement depending on the image you are using. Rule of thumb is to glue the one behind the frame a little higher than the bottom of your image, then the one for the background a little more higher to create the dimension (see the finished card). And then decorate as you wish :)


I glued down the flap with double-sided sticky tape and added a satin bow. Then I added stickles and paper flowers. I hope you will have fun with this kind of cards for the possibilities are endless!!!

Dont forget to be back on Tuesday and see what DeNetra will have for you! :)

Happy crafting!

5 comments:

  1. Girl, this is SUPER cute...love your coloring and the soft of the blue !!! very pretty...love the idea !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! I love it, I love that it looks like its floating on the waves. I wish I had all the stuff to make this. So awesome, thanks for showing us how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathalie,

    what a great tutorial, it's so inspiring!

    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Lins x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute Nathalie, love it! Big hugs Jo xxxxx

    ReplyDelete